Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hurricane Igor - Sunday 19 September - snippets Part II

Hi guys, greetings from the Cornell household in windy Smiths parish.  I took the opportunity of a bit of down time to take a kip/40 winks/nap/siesta as I've a feeling tonight will be a long night..........

It is now officially "Wine O'Clock" and I've just poured myself a nice glass of red wine and am eating a twix - chocolate and wine......... hmmmmm my favourite combination.

The wind is really something out there at the moment, I realised as I woke up that it wasn't as noisy as when I went to bed and when I came downstairs - realised that this was due to the fact that the strong winds are now constant rather than intermittent.  It really is crazy out there and we are going nowhere, we are staying put so no more photographs until perhaps the eye of the storm, but that is due to hit late tonight but we'll do what we can.

It seems that of all of our group of friends we are now the only ones with power.  The news has reported that BELCO (our electricity providers) have now all been stood down and no more repair work will take place until it is safe to do so - which I can totally understand.  It is treacherous enough just stepping outside my front door, but I couldn't imagine anyone having to work out there just to get someones' electricity up and working.  A big shout out to the BELCO guys who thus far have done a fab job and will no doubt be taking a lot of flack over the next few days as people are without power.

My friend Hilary has reported she is without power and that her kitchen flooded, I bet this is from rain water through the door - but she too has a good landlord who has boarded it up - let's hope it's not a permanent fixed board in the event she needs to get out in an emergency as it's the only way in/out for her!

The power keeps flickering and I've a feeling in my bones that it won't be long before we lose power, I'm typing away as fast as I can here to get written down everything that I can before it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment